Hong Kong Optical lens company, a Hong Kong based premier optical laboratory launched yesterday in a grand event held at EDSA Shangri-la Hotel in Mandaluyong City. This is the latest technology in eye wear lenses.
The company aimed to provide local and international clientele world class optical lenses. Equipped with state of the art and internationally renowned equipment from LOH of Germany & Satis of Italy as the backbone of the production line. Fused as well with promising staff, they promises to provide the public with its dedicated products and services.
The event was highlighted by an exciting "lion dance" performance.
With the commitment of providing the local public with world class lenses, the company introduced revolutionary products from Kodak, Sunsensors and Apollo lens which is also the house brand.
What are polycarbonate lenses?
Polycarbonate got their name because they are polymers containing carboante groups. Polycarbonate is a type of tough and versatile plastic that is used mainly for the manufacture of various things like bullet proof windows and compact discs (CDs).
It was first developed in the 1970s for use in space related programs like visors on space suites and shuttle wind shields. In 1983, it was formally introduced by Gentex Corporation in response to the demand for lightweight durable and impact resistant lens.
Today, polycarbonate are being used for making lenses that are lightweight and almost damage proof. It also offers 100% protection from the harmful UV rays. They are also up to 10 times more impact resistant than glass or plastic lenses that made it an instant hit.
Why use polycarbonate lens?
- considered as the "best" option when it comes to eye safety
- can be used for eyeglasses, sports eye wear and sunglasses
- used in the manufacture of eyeglasses, since it is transparent, durable and has a high index of refraction
- thinner and more durable than other conventional and glass lenses
- used as prescription glasses for vision correction of even very high power
- used for making sunglasses that makes use of filters to block the harmful UV rays of the sun
- also comes in polarized to block glare
- perfect for sportswear because of its high impact resistance
- excellent choice for making children's glasses and safety glasses
What are the advantages of polycarbonate lens?
- Greater protection: protects vision by holding up to rough play or sports practice; with high impact resistance, it provides greater protection against eye damage and vision loss from broken or shattered lenses
- Lighter weight: lighter than standard plastic or glass, highly suitable for people with strong prescriptions; thinner than standard plastic or glass
- Scratch resistant: no lens is scratch proof, polycarbonate lenses come with a scratch-resistant coating to keep them clear as long as possible, even when worn by children
- UV protection: offers inherent ultraviolet protection
- Safety: lenses are made from polycarbonate materials that provides the highest level of impact protection
Disadvantages of polycarbonate lens: although its very advatageous, it has certain drawbacks
- they are not as good optically as high index or plastic lenses
- people in prescriptions with higher powers have trouble seeing out the edges of the lenses - field of vision is not as wide as with glass or plastic lenses
- as your vision is corrected by light passing through a prescription lens and focusing an image on your retina, polycarbonate bends light to a greater degree than glass or plastic lenses of equal thickness
- some lens tints may be difficult or impossible to apply
- polycarbonate lenses are harder to make, they require more time to manufacture
Thanks for my newest eyewear. I will soon gonna have my very first reading glass which I think will be something essential for me.