Its rainy months once again and coinciding with this type of season is the onset of several disease health conditions like influenza or commonly known as "FLU". It is caused by the Influenza virus A, B or C.
|image taken from the web|
Entry of the virus into the respiratory tract:
- via droplets from an infected person through coughing, talking and sneezing.
- through contact with the surfaces, material and clothing contaminated with discharges of an infected person.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Fever at least 38 C
- Runny nose, sore throat, cough or other respiratory manifestations
- May or may not have muscle or joint pains
Flu Prevention Tips:
1. Get vaccinated. Although the following preventive measures can help. the best way to prevent flu is to get a flu vaccine every year.
2. Eat a balanced diet and get proper rest. This is a good general advice for keeping your body healthy and able to fight off infections. A proper diet and adequate sleep can help your immune system stay strong so that it can fight off viral infections before they take hold.
3. Keep your distance. Generally speaking, you should avoid being closer than six feet to someone who is ill for more than a minute or two, especially if they're coughing and sneezing. You should also avoid going to work when you are ill with flu and encourage your kids to stay home from school if they have flu.
4. Routinely clean and disinfect surfaces. cleaning and disinfecting are not the same. While cleaning with soap and water removes visible dirt and most germs, disinfecting with a bleach solution or other disinfectant kills additional germs on surfaces, providing an added margin of safety.
5. Wash your hands. Hand washing with soap and water is one of the best ways to prevent infectious diseases.
We just had our flu vaccination the other week. Although getting vaccination is not 100 percent guaranteed being free from the disease, it is but one of the best precautions. What about you, have you had your flu vaccine?